After reading an article in the daily mail yesterday entitled " How to have a happy life", which lists the top fifty things that make you happy and best of all they are free, it got me thinking as to what simple pleasures make me feel happy.I decided to compile my own lists but before i reveal all here are my favourite ten out of the featured top fifty pleasures.
1. An early night
2. clean sheets
3. letting someone into traffic
4. hot water bottles
5. reading poetry
7. giving to charity shops
8. running after a bus and catching it
9. Watching my children sleeping
10. walking barefoot in the sand
And now for my very own top ten free and simple pleasures:
1. Listening to my old CD collection - It's amazing how listening to Phil Collins can take me right back to my dad dancing whilst cooking Sunday Breakfast in my old family home and Mariah Carey's music box reminds me of all that teenage angst and blubbering over boys.
2. Finishing a good book - I love the sense of accomplishment you get, but i equally loath waisting all my time on reading a crap book.
3. Tucking up my freshly bathed and dressed for bed girls - I love the smell of their hair and knowing that they are all clean and safely in bed.
4. Having a clutter free and dust free home - i rarely spring clean but love it when i do, i feel light and trouble free.
5. Having a cup of tea in bed - morning or night, it feels so cosy and indulgent.
6. Visiting my nanna or another elderly relative - I wish i could make more of an effort to do this more often.
7. riding a bike - admittedly it's been years but i love the feeling of pure freedom it gives you.
8. A boiling hot bubble bath - pure bliss, but my skin has to be red as a lobsters when i get out to feel the full effects
9. Swimming - I haven't donned a swimsuit with my kids, unless I'm on holiday...EVER! That's all about to change though this year as I've very recently rediscovered my love of taking a dip in the pool and my jelly belly isn't half as bad as i fear.
10. Swinging - Hahaha no you filthy minded lot, not THAT kind of swinging, i mean actually sitting on a swing in the park with the kids and seeing who can go the highest, nothing beats feeling like a kid again!
I'm now going to tag ten other bloggers and ask them to list their very own free simple pleasures that make them happy, lets call it the "Ten best things in my life that are free" meme. Feel free to join in even if i haven't tagged you i don't mean to leave anyone out but there are not enough hours in the day for me to tag all my blog roll. So enjoy guys, i know i did!
and one more means four
Brits in Bosnia
The babbling mummy
Not far from the madding crowd